Friday, April 19, 2013

Review: This Is What Happy Looks Like By Jennifer E. Smith

Update - I just recently got a Spotify account and so I'm uploading the playlist so you can actually hear it if you want. It shall be at the bottom of this post!

I know I've stated that I hate romance books and everything and then I read contemporary books. But it's more that I hate romance interfering with my fantasy, when I'm reading a fantasy book I want fantasy, dragons and demons, not a bunch of mushy kissy romance scenes and "love" triangles. Plus I love YA contemporary of any kind, I cant help it. But be forewarned that I've never reviewed this type of book before so it probably sucks, having said that I shall start now-

If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds. 

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs? 

                                -book summery copied from Goodreads.com

So, first of all I loved this author's other book, The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight, it's probably one of my all time favorite contemporaries second only to This Is What Happy Looks Like, because somehow this book manages to be even better than The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight, plus it has a shorter title, so that's a plus. I've been pining for this book since I first heard it was coming out and after waiting forever for it I read it in just a few short hours, so sad, but it didn't disappoint. You know how you wait for a book for what feels like forever and then you read it in less than a day and it's kinda sad cause after all that waiting it's just over and either you have to wait for the next (If it's a series) or it's a stand alone and you just want to curl up in a ball and whimper. So, yeah as much as I loved it I'm a bit depressed/angry at myself because I read it so fast. I mean of course I could read it again but its not the same, because no matter how good a book is or how much you love it it's not the same reading it for a second or thirtieth time as it is that first time. OK, I guess I should get to the actual review now.
While it is slightly cheesy I thought it was a really really good book, and really how many YA contemporary/romance books can you name that aren't cheesy? Anyways I loved the story, I loved the characters, I loved that its set in Maine, I loved everything for the most part. Though my favorite parts were the parts where they were emailing each other before they even met I loved it all.
I liked the parts from Graham's POV, I liked the way he felt about acting and how he handled everything and how he tried so hard to met Ellie and everything. And I loved Ellie, obviously because I love everything apparently.  The only thing is I wish that Quinn had been in it more and that you knew more about her because it felt like she was overlooked a bit, but I always think that of any sidekick/supporting character type characters. 
It's just really good and fun and lighthearted while not completely void of real issues and everything. Obviously I'm have issues with explaining how good this is, so just go buy it already and then you'll understand how I feel.
Overall It's a light, quick, fun, easy read. I highly recommend it especially if your looking for something fun and uplifting that you can get through in one sitting but will stay with you. Be warned though that you might feel the need to rush out and buy every other book by this author.

My 'What Happy Looks Like" Playlist - This is a list of songs that I think kinda go along with the book-
*So for some reason with this playlist I found myself leaning towards bands like Mayday Parade, Simple Plan and All Time Low, I'm not sure if it solely because I think it fits different parts of the book or because I listened to them shortly after finishing the book.
"What Happy Looks Like"
  • Follow You Down by Gin Blossoms 
  • Jump Right In by The Zac Brown Band- This song is just awesome and I think it fits in with the setting of summer in Maine, maybe it's just me but I think it fits.
  • I'd Do Anything by Simple Plan- Just listen to it and you'll see. It just kinda fits the book in the sense that they cant give up on each other and cant forget about each other and yea just listen to it.
  • Anywhere But Here by Mayday Parade- I picked this one for the way they felt about each other before they meet, and like their daydreams about each other.
  • Time Bomb by All Time Low - Again I think it just explains Graham and Ellie's relationship, in some ways at least.
  • I Swear This Time I Mean It by Mayday Parade- For the beach scene at the end.
  • All Fall Down by OneRepublic - I picked this song for the part where she finally sees her dad.
  • Between The Raindrops by Lifehouse- For from when they steal the boat until the end.
  • Here (In Your Arms)- Again If you listen to it you'll know why I picked it....probably.
  • Complicated By Avril Lavigne -  So, for when Graham is explaining how since he's become famous no one he dates acts 'real' and everything.
  • Lastly I have two three songs for the scene where they first kiss-
    • Just A Kiss by Lady Antebellum
    • (Kissed You) Good Night by Gloriana
    • Kiss Me Slowly by Parachute 
OK, I'm out of songs and second guessing my picks so I'm gonna stop before I delete the whole post. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment