Friday, April 12, 2013

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

About Shatter Me-
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


   I'm probably one of the last people in the world to finally read this book but I'm really glad I did read it because it's awesome. I really enjoyed it, more than I thought I would, actually. The Characters and writing style are different and refreshing. And everything about it is pure awesome.
  I've heard it both ways that this book is amazing and that it sucks. And while I really really liked it, I can see why some people hated it. Like it's not one of those books that when I hear someone say they hated it or that they just thought it was Meh I want to take them by the shoulders and shake them while screaming "How could you say that It's the best book ever, you stupid naive fool!", no cause while I think it's awesome I've read better and even loving it like I do I can understand why some people don't like it. I mean it's really really good, great even, but you have to like and understand the way it's written or it can just come off as stupid and boring and with the main character Juliette, you have to really understand and listen to her and you're right in her head so if you don't like or understand her you will hate the book. It's one of those absolutes where you either completely Hate it or you completely Love it, there's not really an in between.  And I think it's a book that's best if you read it bit slow, like don't rush through it, give it time to sink in and get used to the writing style and take time to understand Juliette and everything.
  On to the actual review:
 Characters - For the most part I liked Juliette and the way you were in her head and everything was really cool, I thought. But sometimes she annoyed me, like how she always thought she was weak and mainly the whole "touching" other people thing. I get that she's never been able to so much as hug someone without, basically killing them, and her parents were horrible and everything but the parts where she can touch Adam and everything were weird and annoyingly mushy and uncomfortable, I felt. I mean you just start being able to touch someone and right away you want to 'go all the way', for lack of better words, I just don't understand that but I'm weird. Besides that I enjoyed Juliette's character for the most part especially when she started fighting back and everything. Also though I thought the bird thing was kinda random and weird. Anyways on to the love interest(s). At first I hated Adam like seriously couldn't stand him and then he started to grow on me, I cant say I completely love him but I don't hate him either, but I liked the parts where Juliette was remembering him from before better those are the parts that really made me like him. Now Warner I didn't get it at first, what everyone loved about him, I thought him a desperate weirdo. But then I read the short novella Destroy Me that's from his POV,  and it's like WARNER! and yeah. I'm not usually one of those people who get really into the male characters and picks teams and all of that, but I must admit that I kinda Love Warner now. It's not so much that I'm all 'she must end up with him or I'll hate these books forever' or anything, so much as I hope Warner gets a good ending and I love him. I still like Adam but I don't love him like I do Warner, in fact I kinda like Warner as a character more than even Juliette. Normally I cant stand at least one of the main love interests but in this I like both. And honestly I think Juliette should probably end up with Adam, I just want a good ending for Warner, of course I may change my mind after I read Unravel Me. Kenji, I must say I love you too. He's awesome and funny and just a fun character, hopefully there's more of him in book 2, man I really gotta get my hands on a copy of that.
     I thought the world building and everything was awesome (I say Awesome allot don't I?) and done really well. And, yeah I loved the plot and the execution of the plot and the writing style is awesome and refreshing and just interesting and really cool, but  it is extremely different and can be annoying and difficult to like at times. The writing style is one of those things where if you don't get it you wont and you wont like or understand the book and more importantly the main character Juliette. Having said that you just have to have an open mind when starting the book and know that, writing-style wise, it's not like any other YA book.
   But I highly recommend this book, it's awesome and epic and I really really Love it, in case you didn't know. :)

So, as soon as I get Unravel Me I shall read it and then I shall, probably, do a review for it.

Song Of The Book-Ment - Standing Outside The Fire by Garth Brooks (Why you ask? Because It's on the radio while I'm writing this and it's an awesome song, duh!)

Real Song Of The Book-Ment- These Walls by Trapt - This is the one I was planning on using and in a way I think it does kinda fit the book, like the beginning when she's locked up and everything.
For Warner

No comments:

Post a Comment